Goodreads Choice Awards 2016- Have you read these books?
Goodreads Choice Awards 2016 are definitely one of the best ways to know the best books of the year. Since these books are voted for by thousands of dedicated Goodreads users, it is a ranking we cannot afford to miss!
So here we have listed the 5 best books of 2016 from each category for your convenience.
But the larger question is how many of these best books of 2016 chosen by Goodreads voters have you read? We list here the top 5 in each category beginning with-
5 Best Fiction Books from Goodreads Choice Awards 2016
1. Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty
The lines seem like borrowed from the very popular song Truly, Madly, Deeply by Savage Garden. This novel gained the most number of votes among all top fiction books of 2016. It is a story of how fault lines in relatively peaceful and happy relationships are vulnerable to weak outside forces.
It strikes a chord with reads because of a very gentle narrative style of writing by Liane Moriarty. A gathering of six adults over a barbeque triggers off the story. It travels into past present and future to finally discuss the talks and events at the barbeque. The guests regret coming to the party!
Truly Madly Guilty has a very interesting narration style in this subtle suburban life story.
Similarly, other top five fiction books are
2. All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood
3. The Girls by Emma Cline
4. The Nest by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney
5. Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult
5 Best Mystery and Thriller Books
1. End of Watch by Stephen King
End of Watch unleashes mystery and horror with the same, big intensity. This book is the last installment of the best selling trilogy by author Stephen King. Brady Hartsfield who is lying in a hospital bed, beyond help, suddenly becomes extremely violent. This he achieves without even getting out of his bed!
Bill Hodges the detective who fights evil in the first two novels of this series – Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers is again faced with spine chilling events. Will he make it through the imaginary and horrific world Stephen King? Read this book for a racy, heart stopping and thrilling suspense.
The other top books in Goodreads Choice Awards 2016 best mystery and thriller category are
2. A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny
3. The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware
4. Brotherhood in Death by J.D Robb
5. Behind Closed Doors by B.A Paris
5 Best Historical Fiction Books
1. The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
The Underground Railroad is engaging and extraordinarily imaginative book. This historical fiction has all the making of a blockbuster and hence voted as the top historical fiction of 2016 by Goodreads voters.
This novel lays bare the uncomfortable truths of slavery in America. It is convincing and unsettling at the same time. This is what makes the story of Cara, the slave girl who plans an escape from a plantation in South America. Her escape forms the crux of the story. Life in underprivileged Americas in past and future is brought forth and questioned in this novel.
The other books that make it to the list of best historical fiction are
2. Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
3. America’s First Daughter by Stephanie Dray
4. A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
5. The Wonder by Emma Donoghue
5 Best Fantasy Books
1. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child- Parts 1 and 2 by John Tiffany, J.K Rowling and Jack Thorne
There are many Harry Potter fans around the globe. So this book had to figure in the top fantasy books of Goodreads Choice Awards 2016. But The Cursed Child became the top voted book because of a combination of factors.
Harry’s younger son Albus does not like the baggage of having famous parents. His quest to rebel and yet live up to his father’s expectations leads to an interesting story twenty years since the last chapter in Harry Potter’s life.
The writing is for a play of the same name but the book too has enough to keep the readers involved. Most importantly, die-hard Harry Potter fans.
Next four books voted as top fantasy novels are
2. A Gathering of Shadows by V.E Schwab
3. The Bands of Mourning by Brandon Sanderson
4. Feverborn by Karen Marie Moning
5. Fire Touched by Patricia Briggs
5 Best Romance Books
1. It Ends with Us
Goodreads Choice Awards 2016’s best romance book for 2016 is a tale of love, heartbreak, abuse and choices. It Ends With Us strikes the readers’ heart because of its diverse elements combined into love story of a girl, Lily.
Lily runs a flower shop in Boston where she meets Ryle, a surgeon. A relationship blossoms out of shared miserable experiences. But there is rough weather ahead which makes Lily look back at her past. Her first love, Atlas Corrigan enters the scene and Lily is torn by circumstances.
Lily’s choices are unconditional love with torture and uncertain love with complications. It Ends with Us shows strength of character while seeking love.
Other top 4 books of the romance series are
2. Storm and Silence by Robert Their
3. The Obsession by Nora Roberts
4. The Beast by J.R Ward
5. One with You by Sylvia Day
5 Best Science Fiction Books
1. Morning Star by Pierce Brown
The top book in the Sci-Fi fiction is the last of a rebellion story trilogy. Morning Star is about Darrow’s fight with the Gold Lords. Myth, reality and fiction come together wonderfully in this book.
Pierce Brown treats his subject with great wisdom and creativity. Hence the book is a wonderful treat for imagination of readers. The effect is similar to that of Star Wars movies. Therefore, Morning Star is right at the top of Goodreads Choice Awards 2016 list of best science fiction books of 2016.
Other four books following Morning Star are
2. Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
3. Bloodline by Claudia Gray
4. The Long Cosmos by Terry Pratchett
5. A Murder in Time by Julie McElwain
5 Best Horror Books
1. The Fireman by Joe Hill
The Fireman is a story of an epidemic spreading throughout the world like wildfire! Well, literally like wildfire! Because black and gold markings would appear on the infected persons and soon they would burst into flames.
This epidemic is called the Dragonscale and it eventually strikes the central character Harper, a school nurse. Joe Hill makes his heroine go through the chills and thrills of this horrific disease stricken world. She has to leave her husband and seek a safe birth for her yet-to-be-born child.
Along comes Fireman and the novel takes an even gripping turn. It is a must read book for all those who want to lose themselves in a horror narrative. It simply keeps you engaged.
The next 4 top horror books of 2016 voted for in Goodreads poll are
2. The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison
3. The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin
4. Ink and Bone by Lisa Unger
5. Over Your Dead Body by Dan Wells
5 Best Humor Books
1. The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer
Most of the votes, in the humor category, were rightly earned by this amazingly funny book by Amy Schumer. The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo, the author travels back in time to dig out events in her life. These involve almost all aspects of a regular life. But the way she writes everyday stories dealing in family, sex, relatives, friends and experiences is a riot of laughter.
There are touchy, romantic and even bizarre experiences in this collection of essays. But all these combine into a very entertaining and humorous read. People can associate with the stories in this book very easily. Maybe, that is why it finds itself at the top of Goodreads best humor books of 2016.
The next four top books of this section are
2. Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick
3. Where Am I Now? by Mara Wilson
4. Mother, Can You Not? By Kate Friedman-Segel
5. You Can’t Touch My Hair by Phoebe Robinson
5 Best Nonfiction Books
1. Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda, Jeremy McCarter
Right at the top of Goodreads Choice Awards 2016 best nonfiction books is an overview of two revolutions. First is the revolution that laid the foundation of United States and second is the revolution in theatre at Broadway.
In a beautifully written work there is skill and artistry just like in the shows. Hamilton is a legendary composition based on legends of human creativity and endeavor. If you are fascinated by American history and culture you will love this book.
Following are the next most voted books in non-fiction category of Goodreads Choice Awards 2016
2. The View from the Cheap Seats by Neil Gaiman
3. Girls and Sex by Peggy Orenstein
4. Adnan’s Story by Rabia Chaudry
5. Evicted by Matthew Desmond
5 Best Memoirs and Autobiographies
1. When Breath Becomes Fresh Air by Paul Kalanithi
When Breath Becomes Fresh Air will shake the very foundations of our belief in healthy life. Paul Kalanithi makes us understand what it means to be successful in your life and yet somehow fail.
Paul Kalanithi died while writing this book. He had disciplined for a decade to become a successful neurosurgeon. But he was diagnosed with a dreaded cancer to become a patient. His whole world turned upside down on finding this out.
This is one of the most heartfelt accounts with a lesson in hope, survival and meaning of life.
The next Goodreads most voted memoirs and autobiographies of 2016 are
2. The Only Pirate at the Party by Lindsey Stirling
3. The Rainbow Comes and Goes by Anderson Cooper
4. Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton
5. Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen
5 Best Books in History and Biography list
1. Leonard by William Shatner and David Fisher
Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner are big names in their chosen field- the reel world. They first met each other on the sets of the movie, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Thus began one of the most momentous star relationships.
William finally decided to pen down the life and times Leonard Nimoy and he shared together. Specifically, he highlights Nimoy’s character and his life. The book is not only a sincere biography but also a wonderful account of friendship.
This book is a beautiful account of one legend by another. Maybe that is why it gained the highest number of votes in this category of Goodreads best books of 2016.
The next four books in this category are
2. The Romanovs by Simon Sebag Montefiore
3. First Women by Kate Andersen Brower
4. Rise of the Rocket Girls by Nathalia Holt
5. All the Single Ladies by Rebecca Traister
5 Best Science and Technology Books
1. Are we Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are? By Frans de Waal
The most voted book in the Science and Technology section of Goodreads is a very interesting title! Frans de Waal, the author of this book is a world famous biologist and primatologist.
In this book he makes us reexamine our understanding of animal life. New ground breaking research has revealed that humans are not necessarily the best at processing knowledge. Neither are we best analyzers of the world around us through our senses.
He explains that the animal world is not a hierarchy. It is a far more complex bush like network of species. This book is a very fascinating read indeed!
The next four in this category are
2. The Gene by Siddhartha Mukherjee
3. Grunt by Mary Roach
4. The Genius of Birds by Jennifer Ackerman
5. The Big Picture by Sean Carroll
5 Best Food and Cookbooks
1. Cravings by Chrissy Teigen
Life is fun, spicy, saucy, bitter, salty and tangy. But this cook book is a treat for every mood of life. Chrissy Teigen, the charming writer of this cook book ‘serves’ the best of dishes in a delightful manner in this book.
You may be looking for conventional or unconventional dinners, breakfasts or lunches. Or you may simply want to add a dose of exotic flavors to your cooking. Chrissy brings you the best of cooking and eating. Since, the same is also about life and love.
The next 4 most voted food and cookbooks in Goodreads Choice Awards 2016 are
2. Outlander Kitchen by Theresa Carle-Sanders
3. The Bob’s Burgers by Loren Bouchard
4. Alton Brown: EveryDayCook by Alton Brown
5. Layered by Tessa Huff
5 Best Graphic Novels and Comic Books
1. Adulthood Is a Myth by Sarah Andersen
Graphic novels like Adulthood is a Myth add color to the reading list. The effect is the same as when a rainbow appears in a blue and grey sky. Sarah, the character does not want to grow up. And she is happy about it.
Adults in touch with their inner child and unreasonable happy self will love this graphic book. The images are absorbing without being too loud in appearance. We all harbor a child within us which stubbornly resists so called ‘sane behavior’.
This book is a treat for eyes and minds of fun lover.
Other books most voted for in this series of Goodreads best books of 2016 are
2. Saga by Brian Vaughan
3. Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier
4. Ms. Marvel by G. Willow Wilson
5. Orange by Ichigo Takano
5 Best Poetry Books
1. The Princess Saves Herself in this One by Amanda Lovelace
This collection of poetry is a complete package of human emotions and experiences. Amanda Lovelace has divided her poems in 4 sections. These are: the princess, the damsel, the queen and you.
While the first three are about the author’s experience, the last one is for the reader’s. Ultimately, it represents the entire humanity other than the author herself. A must read for poetry lovers.
The next most voted poetry books of 2016 are
2. The Universe of Us by Lang Leav
3. Then Come Back by Pablo Neruda
4. Graffiti by Savannah Brown
5. Quarter Life Poetry by Samantha Jayne
5 Best Debut Goodreads Authors
1. Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton
The Goodreads best debut author book of 2016 is a fantasy book. It features mortals, djinns and mythical creatures in desert nation of Miraji.
Somewhere in this country, a poor orphan Amani Al’Hiza is looking for ways to get out of her town, Dustwalk. Else she would be condemned to a miserable life leading to death or marriage.
She seeks the help of a foreigner to escape. But she is pushed to her limits by her desert home land which she thought she knew!
Next four most voted for debut authors and their books are
2. Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
3. The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi
4. Behind Closed Doors by B.A Paris
5. Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley
5 Best Young Adults Fiction Books
1. Salts to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
Some books just confirm one’s hope in fighting and believing in life. Salts to the Sea is one such book. Ruta Sepetys builds a wonderful story with the backdrop of World War II.
The War is in the final stages. Four teens from four different places are seriously affected by the war. Each of them has a secret. Survival is crucial for them and refugees looking to flee war zone.
The ship Wilhelm Gustloff is ready on coast to evacuate many stranded people. What happens next is for the potential reader to find out! But those who voted in Goodreads Choice Awards 2016 must surely have enjoyed this book.
Other promising top voted young adult fiction books are
2. The Problem with Forever by Jennifer L. Armentrout
3. The Sun is Also a Start by Nicola Yoon
4. A Thousand Boy Kisses by Tillie Cole
5. The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson
5 Best Young Adult Fantasy and Science Fiction
1. A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas
This one is a fantastic thriller of the highest standards. Children across the world will love to lose themselves in the fictional world of Feyre. Feyre is struggling to stay at Spring Court.
Even with great acquired powers, she faces dark and dangerous enemies. Evil, politics and deep-rooted intense ambitions are the heady cocktail in this novel.
This fiction has won the hearts and minds of young adult readers with its clever and intimate story.
Other 4 top books in this category are
2. Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare
3. Empire of the Storms by Sarah J. Mass
4. Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
5. The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater
5 Best Middle Grade and Children’s Books
1. The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan
Rick Riordan is keen on producing great fiction with Greek characters. In The Hidden Oracle he writes about Zeus punishes Apollo by making him human. Apollo is on his own with no knowledge of human lifestyle in New York city. He has fallen from the sky right into humanity as a human!
This story progresses with Apollo’s quest to find demi-gods dwelling, Camp Half-Blood. But will the enemy in Olympus let him regain his former position?
The Hidden Oracle has already charmed the kids with an imagination firing story. Therefore, it is voted as the best book in this category of Goodreads Choice Awards 2016.
Middle Grade and Children’s Books that made it to top 5 in Goodreads books of the year 2016 are
2. Pax by Sara Pennypacker
3. The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan
4. An Author’s Odyssey by Chris Colfer
5. Furthermore by Taheren Man
5 Best Picture Books
1. The Thank You Book by Mo Willems
Gerald and Piggie are friends beautifully shown in this book. Kids love it so maybe parents voted it to the top of Goodreads Best Picture Books of 2016. Gerald is worried that Piggie will screw up things. And Piggie is expressive and wants to thank everybody.
Learning to be imaginative is so much fun with The Thank You book!
Other picture books voted in top 5 are
2. They All Saw A Cat by Brendan Wenzel
3. Are We There Yet? By Dan Santat
4. What Do You Do With A Problem? By Kobi Yamada
5. Ida, Always by Caron Levis
The books listed as top in the above categories are voted for by Goodreads users. With a very large number of active Goodreads users, readers are bound to find most of the above books interesting.
Have you read or suggested the above books to your near and dear ones? Please let us know in the comments section.